Re: Oops in ufs_fill_super at mount time

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 10:43:57 EST

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 05:14:25PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > This is a free'd page fault, so it's due to DEBUG_PAGEALLOC rather than a
> > wild pointer.
>
> That's true. Turning it off makes mounting reliable again.
>
> > Is that something new for you? Maybe the bug is older, but you've enabled
> > PAGEALLOC only recently?
>
> Yup. In response to hangs re disk activity.

Ok, That explains why it started happening for you only _now_, but not why
it happens in the first place.

Can you test if the patch that Evgeniy sent out fixes it for you even with
PAGEALLOC debugging enabled?

Evgeniy - That is one ugly macro, can you (or Alexey, for that matter:
somebody who can test it) turn it into an inline function or something to
make it half-way readable? I realize that means changing the arguments too
(right now that horrid macro accesses "uspi" directly - uggghhh).

If somebody maintains - or is interested in doing so - UFS, please speak
up, we don't have anybody listed in the MAINTAINERS file, and when I look
through the history, all I see is updates due to secondary issues (ie
somebody did generic cleanups and just happened to touch UFS as part of
that, rather than working _directly_ on UFS issues).

Linus