Re: Problem getting PCMCIA to compile in Kernel.

From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 14:12:05 EST

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> On 14 Jan 2006 at 1:40, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
>
> To: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Problem getting PCMCIA to compile in Kernel.
> Date sent: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:40:28 +0900
>

>>Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>>
>>>I've tried to set the PCMCIA options to Y in the kernel build, but get a
>>>message that something else is build as a modual, so these can not be
>>>changed to y.
>>
>>How did you do that?
>>
>>Use `make menuconfig` to configure kernel.
>>

>>>I went to the .config file and replaced every =m to =y, and then
>>>ran make. The kernel then was built with no problem, but it reset all these
>>>option back to =m.
>>>
>>>CONFIG_PCMCIA_AHA152X=m
>>>CONFIG_PCMCIA_FDOMAIN=m
>>>CONFIG_PCMCIA_NINJA_SCSI=m
>>>CONFIG_PCMCIA_QLOGIC=m
>>>CONFIG_PCMCIA_SYM53C500=m
>>>CONFIG_I2C_STUB=m

Hmm, I did reproduce this:

$mkdir -p /var/kernels/src/linux-2.6.15 && cd /var/kernels/src/linux-2.6.15

$tar xjf /usr/portage-distfiles/linux-2.6.15.tar.bz2

$make allyesconfig

$ find . -name Kconfig|xargs egrep -h "depends on m | && m" -B2
config SOUND_WAVEFRONT
tristate "Full support for Turtle Beach WaveFront (Tropez Plus,
Tropez, Maui) synth/soundcards"
depends on SOUND_OSS && m && OBSOLETE_OSS_DRIVER
--
config HOSTESS_SV11
tristate "Comtrol Hostess SV-11 support"
depends on WAN && ISA && m && ISA_DMA_API
--
config DSCC4
tristate "Etinc PCISYNC serial board support"
depends on WAN && ISA && m && ISA_DMA_API
--
config NE2000
tristate "NE2000/NE1000 support"
depends on NET_ISA || (Q40 && m) || M32R
--
config HYSDN
tristate "Hypercope HYSDN cards (Champ, Ergo, Metro) support (module
only)"
depends on m && PROC_FS && PCI && BROKEN_ON_SMP
--
config ISDN_DIVAS_MAINT
tristate "DIVA Maint driver support"

So there are things that have to be build as modules??
Didn't know that...

>>>I build kernels for G4L, and build everything directly into the kernel, but
>>>these do not seem to work, and I don't have an ideal why, since everything
>>>else is built in. So what am I missing. This is the 2.6.15 kernel.
>>
>>If you play with .config directly, run a `make oldconfig` after that.
>>So, `make oldconfig && make && make` should always work.
>>If you tired that ant it did NOT, please post your .config file (not
>>compressed) here, or upload it to a website (somewhere).
>

> I ran the make oldconfig, then make menuconfig, and when I try to change
> the settings, it gives this message.
>
> This feature depends on another which has been configured as a module.
> As a result, this feature will be built as a module.
>
> I had manually edited the .config file, and changed all =m to =y, so there is
> nothing in the file that has the module setting but these.
>
> I placed a copy of the .config file at the link below.
> http://www.guam.net/home/mikes/bzImagez.config
>
> Only those items with the PCMCIA and I2C_STUB have the =m.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to make a kernel that will suppor the most
> hardware, and avoid conflict.

You can try `make allyesconfig` but that will produce huge kernel.
Try better `make allmodconfig` and then manually edit some important stuff
like IDE to be built in. Or use initrd.

BTW, what is G4L ?

Kalin.

--