Re: 2.6.15-mm2: alpha broken

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 16:03:56 EST

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:10:54AM -0800, Paul Jackson wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> > This is the amout of testing I can afford.
>
> It sounds to me like you are saying that a minute of your time is
> more valuable than a minute of each of several other peoples time.
>
> The only two people I gladly accept that argument from are Linus
> and Andrew.
>
> For the rest of us, it is important to minimize the total workload
> of all us combined, not to optimize our individual output.
>
> What you don't test, several others of us get to test. Only its often
> more work, for -each- of us, as we each have to figure out which of
> 1000 patches caused the breakage.

I'm working against -mm, and there it's quite common that the kernel
doesn't build on the majority of architectures due to one or two dozen
bugs other people introduced.

I didn't know people consider the quality of my patches so under-average
that they want to require me to fix other people's compile errors first
and test the compilation on all 24 architectures before I'm allowed to
submit a patch that touches some architecture-independend code.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed