[?] PCI BIOS masks some IDs to prevent OS detection?

From: Joshua Kwan
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 17:44:49 EST

Hi,

I'd like to tap some of the Linux-PCI gurus about something weird I've
been helping a friend with...

He recently installed a PCI RAID card, and ever since, his Ethernet
card stopped working. Further investigation revealed that his
Realtek 8139 (10ec:8139) card had become 10ec:0139, and his 3Com Cyclone
card had become 10b7:1055 from 10b7:9055.

Did the PCI bus decide to mask those PCI IDs to prevent some sort of
resource conflict that would ensue from loading an appropriate driver
for these devices?

--
Joshua Kwan