Re: 2.6.15-rt4 failure with LATENCY_TRACE on x86_64

From: Mikael Andersson
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 23:19:43 EST

Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Clark Williams wrote:
Have you tried booting your system with a up kernel?

Not a x86_64 up. But serveral up i386 boxes.

I had a very similar problem on a x86_64 up. I got a segfault in init with LATENCY_TRACE enabled on 2.6.15-rt2.
I get it at ffffffff8010fe30, which should be mcount according to my System.map [1]. It seems a bit weird because i have tried to alter mcount somewhat. Initially by removing the initial comparison, but later
i tried a few other things also. Nothing had any effect at all.

AFAIK glibc also has a mcount symbol, and it's almost as if ld.so would have linked the glibc mcount symbol to the kernel symbol mcount. That
would naturally lead to a pagefault :)
And it would be consistent with the fact that statically linked shells
works.

It's probably something completely different, bevause that would be really weird. OTOH, it was really weird that i could change the asm for mcount in entry.S without any effect whatsoever.

I'll verify that it hasn't gone away in lates 2.6.15-rt tomorrow.

[1]
ffffffff8010fd68 T machine_check
ffffffff8010fdf0 T call_debug
ffffffff8010fe00 T call_softirq