'serial' cannot be built as module

From: tmhikaru
Date: Sat Jan 14 2006 - 04:27:30 EST

I've already tried reporting this to the maintainer in the MAINTAINERS file,
but received no response (mail originally sent 15'th of november)

Essentially, the 'serial' module is not, apparently, being built when set as
modular. I definitely know it's not being installed when I do make
modules_install.

However, if I include it in the kernel, it works. The 'symbol' is SERIAL_8250
according to the help in menuconfig.

I'd really like to have this fixed, as I try to reduce the size of the
kernel that I boot, as I have to load the kernel off a floppy disk.

Timothy C. McGrath