Re: 2.6.15-git breaks Xorg on em64t

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 03:34:48 EST

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:05:07AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > -git7+ is the only time I've ever seen one on this box.
> >
> > What happens when you apply
> >
> > ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/patches/page-table-setup
>
> What does this apply to ? Is it dependant on something else not
> merged yet ? I get rejects when I apply it to 2.6.15-git10
>
> I don't have time to fix it up by hand right now (I was going to set
> a build going before I turned in for the night..)
>
> I'll poke at it again tomorrow.
>
> Another datapoint btw: I've another EM64T that works just fine.
> The one that fails is the only one that isn't using onboard VGA,
> this one has a PCIE Radeon. Given it happens when X is starting up,
> it could be that the X radeon driver does something special which
> is why others aren't seeing this.

On my i386 box with an ati radeon 9600 agp card of sorts trying to use the
radeon driver (ever since I installed suse 10.0) causes an immediate hard
lockup on startup of X. Sounds like your problem... Setting the driver
to VESA or using the ati proprietory driver works fine (but only the ati
driver actually is usable for me).

You could try that and if the others work for you like for me then it is
likely the problem is indeed 100% in the radeon driver somewhere...

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/