Re: Modify setterm color palette

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 08:18:40 EST

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:15:23PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> drivers/char/vt.c: default_red, default_grn, default_blu
>
> You can also change them with `echo -en "\e]PXRRGGBB"`, where X is a hex
> digit (range 0-F), and RGB are the components. Check console_codes(4) and
> go figure. :)

I for one prefer the standard VT100 yellow instead of brown, and I
have an escape sequence to do that similar to the one you show above.

However, there's one major flaw - programs recently (and by that I mean
FC2-like recently) have started to do complete console resets, which
result in the users settings being completely wiped out.

For instance, I have:

if [ "$TERM" = "linux" ]; then
echo -ne '\e]P3aaaa00'
fi

in the bash login scripts. Run mutt 1.4 and that gets wiped out.
Previous version of mutt (1.2?) didn't do this.

So, in essence, this is a completely useless solution. I think we need
a separate escape sequence to modify the system default so that peoples
preferences do not get inadvertently wiped out by programs.

(I have also considered writing a module to locate the default palette
and "correct" it.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core