Re: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32

From: Roberto Nibali
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 15:51:27 EST

The machine was /not/ booted into that config. It is running the original config from http://hashbrown.cts.ucla.edu/pub/oops-200512/config-2.4.32 with DEBUG_SLAB defined and "pci=noacpi" passed in on the command line.

The config with HIGHIO disabled an ACPI=y has not been tested.

CONFIG_SMP at least sets CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT. Do you still have the boot messages somewhere (dmesg)? I'd be interested in the difference between IOAPIC PCI routing entries between pci=noacpi and normal boot.

Thanks for the precision. So logically we should expect it to break sooner or later ?

It is the same .config as one that crashed before, except that it has DEBUG_SLAB defined. If it does not crash, then adding pci=noacpi to the command fixes the problem for me.

Hmm, I'm not fully convinced yet, however glad that it has been a bit more stable for you.

Sidenote: We boot our systems having built-in AIC7* SCSI on moderately cheap motherboards with "bad" interrupt routing using pci=noacpi on 2.4.x kernels to evade instability.

I suggest that if you experience more problems using this setup _and_ would like to continue debugging the issue, we take this off-list into a private discussion.

[Another thing which would be interesting to test regarding the HIGHIO setting is a RedHat based 2.4.x kernel, since according to some SCSI driver's documentation, RedHat had a different HIGHIO convention.]

Thanks for your feedback,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc