Re: git-diff-files and fakeroot

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 00:28:55 EST

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:36:39PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ryan Anderson <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I've been trying to track down a strange issue with building kernels
> > (and scripts/setlocalversion) and finally realized the problem was the
> > when run under fakeroot, git-diff-files thinks everything is changed
> > (deleted, I believe)
>
> BTW, Ryan, I suspect this is where you try to append "-dirty" to
> the version number. But I wonder why you are doing the build
> under fakeroot to begin with? Wasn't the SOP "build as
> yourself, install as root"?

That's exactly what started this search, because I was running
"make deb-pkg". (Effectively.) dpkg-buildpackage wants to think it is
running as root, either via sudo or via fakeroot. I had my build
environment switched over entirely to fakeroot, as it just seems to be a
better practice, but I've temporarily switched back to sudo.

However, your explanation has pointed out to me how I can solve this -
run "fakeroot -u" instead of "fakeroot", and I think it will be fixed.

lkml cc:ed to hopefully stick this in an archive where someone else will
find it.

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere