Re: git-diff-files and fakeroot

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 00:58:29 EST

On Jan 17, 2006, at 00:27, Ryan Anderson wrote:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:36:39PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
BTW, Ryan, I suspect this is where you try to append "-dirty" to the version number. But I wonder why you are doing the build under fakeroot to begin with? Wasn't the SOP "build as
yourself, install as root"?

That's exactly what started this search, because I was running "make deb-pkg". (Effectively.) dpkg-buildpackage wants to think it is running as root, either via sudo or via fakeroot. I had my build environment switched over entirely to fakeroot, as it just seems to be a better practice, but I've temporarily switched back to sudo.

However, your explanation has pointed out to me how I can solve this - run "fakeroot -u" instead of "fakeroot", and I think it will be fixed.

You should run "make" first, then after that completes run "fakeroot make deb-pkg". I think this is similar to what the Debian package "kernel-package" does, except it substitutes an alternate "debian/" directory. IIRC, it just runs "make install" as a normal user to a staging directory, then runs "$(ROOTCMD) dpkg-deb -b [...]" to build the package. IMHO it's somewhat of a cleaner solution, and I've used it for several years now with no issues.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
-- Poul Anderson