Re: wireless: the contenders

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 15:35:50 EST

John W. Linville wrote:
First, the news everyone will like. Thanks to the kernel.org team
I now have a place to publish a wireless tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-2.6.git

The tree there has a number of branches, so many that you need
a scorecard...

Branches
--------

The "master" branch of that tree is (mostly) up-to-date w/ Linus, plus
changes I recently sent to Jeff. Those changes are also available on
the "upstream-jgarzik" branch, but it is frozen to when I requested
Jeff's pull.

Minor git administrative note... In my trees, the 'master' branch is always vanilla Linus, and I never ever apply my own changes to it. This enables commands such as

git diff master..upstream > patch
git log master..upstream > log.txt
git log master..upstream | git shortlog > shortlog.txt

to work as expected.

Typically I do not update 'master' unless I am also updating 'upstream' with vanilla Linus changes, in order to avoid screwing up the tree heads and the diff. When I do update 'master' from 'upstream', it is a trivial matter to then pull those changes into 'upstream':

git checkout -f upstream
git pull . master

Regards,

Jeff