Re: X killed

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 06:08:49 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:32:11PM -0600, Ram Gupta wrote:

On 1/17/06, James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jan Engelhardt wrote:

My point is that there is no way to tell what kills me. No messages in
syslog...nothing. Surely the OOM killer would send a message to ksyslog, or at
least dmesg?

You may try using strace . It may throw some light on the cause of the problem.

I would particularly suggest using 'strace -tt' both on X and on the
python process. It will make it easier to analyse the causes later. You
might even encounter a bug in the python application causing an explicit
kill of a miscalculated pid (although unlikely, but who knows ?).

Regards
Ram gupta

Regards,
Willy

I have managed to narrow down the problem. strace did not help at all.
The problem was the Load "freetype" line in xorg.conf.
With it commented out, python wsjt.py runs fine.
That would explain why strace did not help at all.
So, this is not a kernel problem now, it is an Xorg problem.

Section "Module"
# Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri"
Load "xtrap"
# Load "freetype" ### freetype crashes X in wsjt.py
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
EndSection

I will have to ask the Xorg people how to run gdb on the freetype module.

James