Re: Linux 2.6.16-rc1

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 18:40:00 EST

Diego Calleja wrote:
El Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:19:56 -0800 (PST),
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> escribió:

Anyway, it's out there now. The ShortLog is pretty readable - if you are into that kind of stuff - but as usual for an -rc1 release (which has all the frantic merging going on), it's actually too big to post on the kernel list due to the size limits. It's weighs in at 4000+ lines and 169kB.

Can I ask if it's possible to "mark" new features/important changes?

New features are easy, they usually result in changes to the config file. You can learn a lot with "diff" that way.

However, you really need to read the patches to see what they are supposed to change. That's a long and thankless job, but it's a wiki, right? So ask a few people to just look at parts of it and write comments on what they see. Few for filesystems, few for networks, stuff like that. And a few to look at "other."

If you do all the work it's not a wiki it's a blog...

I've maintaining http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
for three releases and the amount of changes is so big it takes hours to extract the relevant changes, adding some special string in the description field could help to automate this process and make better
changelogs.

It's not only better for me, I also know there're more people ej: man
page maintainers looking at the full changelogs to find out if something has changed. There're lot of nice things being merged on each release, but there's not a way to tell people that those features exist; even kernel developers don't really know what is going on in other parts of the kernel. A "useful" changelog is one of the few
things the linux kernel has been missing for ages, IMO ;)