Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

From: Michael Loftis
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 14:20:33 EST

--On January 20, 2006 2:03:52 PM -0500 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

But you're perfectly happy to make the kernel developers do the
equivalent thing when they have to maintain 2 forks (a stable and devel).
chunks of time when 2.4 or 2.5 would get an important bugfix, but the
other tree wouldn't get it for *weeks* because of the hassle of
cross-porting the patch.

To more fully respond though....

Weeks is fine, and better than never. And there may be cases in which the decision has to be made to 'abandon' a particular stable release in favor of a newer version because of the difficulty or inability to backport fixes.

I think that it's fine to push the maintenance effort away from the mainline developers, probably even desireable, but then the bugfixing/etc tends to happen in a disparate manner, off on lots of forks at different places without them making their way back to some central place.

And that seems where we're going with this conversation. A fork/forks at various versions to maintain bugfixes and support updates that's (more?) open to submitters writing patches. Maintained by a separate group or party, but with the 'blessing' from mainline to do so. A place for those sorts of efforts to be focused, without necessarily involving the primary developers.