Re: soft update vs journaling?

From: John Richard Moser
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 19:59:49 EST

Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:31:44 -0500,
> Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> escribió:
>

>>One major downside with Soft Updates that you haven't mentioned in
>>your note, is that the amount of complexity it adds to the filesystem
>>is tremendous; the filesystem has to keep track of a very complex
>>state machinery, with knowledge of about the ordering constraints of
>>each change to the filesystem and how to "back out" parts of the
>>change when that becomes necessary.
>

> And FreeBSD is implementing journaling for UFS and getting rid of
> softupdates [1]. While this not proves that softupdates is "a bad idea",
> i think this proves why the added sofupdates complexity doesn't seem
> to pay off in the real world.

Yeah, the huge TB fsck thing became a problem. I wonder still if it'd
be useful for small vfat file systems (floppies, usb drives); nobody has
led me to believe it's definitely feasible to not corrupt meta-data in
this way.

I guess journaling is looking a lot better. :)

> [1]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2004-December/009261.html
>
> "4. Journaled filesystem. While we can debate the merits of speed and
> data integrety of journalling vs. softupdates, the simple fact remains
> that softupdates still requires a fsck run on recovery, and the
> multi-terabyte filesystems that are possible these days make fsck a very
> long and unpleasant experience, even with bg-fsck. There was work at
> some point at RPI to add journaling to UFS, but there hasn't been much
> status on that in a long time. There have also been proposals and
> works-in-progress to port JFS, ReiserFS, and XFS. Some of these efforts
> are still alive, but they need to be seen through to completion"

- --

new problems waiting out there.
-- Eric Steven Raymond