Re: -add-pselect-ppoll-system-call-implementation-tidy.patch removed from -mmtree

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 00:23:40 EST

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:01 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Some readers of linux kernel sources are blind.
> They use a kind of terminal that 'displays' a single line of 80 'characters'
> (or even 40) called a 'Braille Display'
>
> This kind of terminal is very expensive, and I think the 80 column one is the
> most you can get (price : about 7000$).

Yes, I've seen them. What's your point? A user with a braille terminal
can also 'see' that it's just a memcpy of the signal set, and doesn't
really need to scroll over to see the length argument to the memcpy,
except in very exceptional circumstances. The code flow is perfectly
understandable without doing so.

> I am ok to be a litle bit upset by this 80 limitation that looks odd on my
> 1000$ 24" display, but reminds me the fact that some human people are different.
>
> So please don't count me as part of your _everyone_.

I count your theoretical blind person above as part of 'everyone'. By
gratuitously moving the 'fluff' onto a new line, he gets a whole line
taken up by it when he scrolls down. If it had stayed where I put it, it
wouldn't be getting in his way.

--
dwmw2