Re: [RFC] VM: I have a dream...

From: Bryan Henderson
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 15:58:46 EST

>Linux is the one desktop lacking something like this, both windows
>and max os x have things like this. I've wondered for long time if
>it's worth of it and if it could improve things in linux. The
>prefault part is easy once you get the data. The hard part is to get
>the statistics:

If you focus on the system startup speed problem, the stats are quite a
bit simpler. If you can take a snapshot of every mmap page in memory
shortly after startup (and verify that no page frames were stolen during
startup) and save that, you could just prefault all those pages in, in a
single sweep, at the next boot.

--
Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA Filesystems