Re: ALSA on MIPS platform

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 10:53:43 EST

At Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:29:25 +0900 (JST),
Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> tiwai> The right fix is, IMO, to port dma_mmap_coherent() to all
> tiwai> archs. Currently, it's only on ARM.
>
> Thanks. Is this solve both issue #1 and #2 ?

Yes. In theory, dma_alloc_coherent() and dma_mmap_coherent() should
cover all the magic each arch requires.

> The most part of issue #1 will vanish if NEED_RESERVE_PAGES was
> defined, and currently only ARM define this. ARM defines
> NEED_RESERVE_PAGES because it has dma_mmap_coherent(), right?

Well, the whole page-reserve kludge should disappear anyway in near
future. Right now it's in the process.

The memory allocation stuff in ALSA is being largely rewritten on my
local tree, but it's not released yet. One reason is to wait for the
finish of page-reserve removals, and another reason is that I've had
little time to tidy them up :)

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> ALSA Developer - www.alsa-project.org