Re: [ 01/23] [Suspend2] Make workqueues freezeable.

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 18:14:51 EST

Hi,

On Thursday, 26 January 2006 04:45, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> Prior to this patch, kernel threads and workqueues are unconditionally
> unfreezeable. This patch reverses that behaviour, making the default
> for kernel processes to be frozen. New variations of the routines for
> starting kernel threads and workqueues (containing _nofreeze_) allow
> threads that need to run during suspend to be made nofreeze again.

This looks like "let's make everything freezable and hunt for things that
must not be frozen" kind of approach, but isn't it error-prone? I mean,
for example, if someone creates a kernel thread that in fact must not
be frozen, but forgets to use the _nofreeze_ call, things will break for
some people and the problem will be worse than the current one,
it seems.

Greetings,
Rafael