Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 19:17:37 EST

On 1/26/06, Joerg Schilling <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <acahalan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > You can't fool me, because I looked at the cdrecord source
> > code and at the documented APIs for various OSes.
>
> I am sorry to see that you did not look close enough...
> > Names can be handled by Windows, FreeBSD, MacOS X,
> > Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and IRIX.
> > That's everything that isn't end-of-lifed.

OK, this is getting silly and downright offensive. I encourage
everyone else to look over the code to see that I am right.

I may just be crazy enough to fork this project. I very nearly
did about 18 months ago. I can't very well do this alone,
because I don't have all the hardware. (It's either cdrecord
or Asterisk -- I'm not sure which one pisses me off the most)

Me:

* was an RTOS developer
* day job is all about secure software
* the procps maintainer
* running Linux 2.6.xx only
* using FireWire, which is totally hot-plug

Perhaps the first thing to do would be to find a list of all the
apps that depend on cdrecord. Their interface to cdrecord
needs to be documented so that a compatibility script can
be made.

Matthias, can you give me a hand with this? I'll need a way
to sort and publish incoming patches, letting them sit for a
while. (like what Andrew Morton does for the kernel) This
can't work like procps because the hardware varies too much.