Re: [patch 0/9] Critical Mempools

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 05:09:45 EST

Pekka wrote:
> As as side note, we already have __GFP_NOFAIL. How is it different
> from GFP_CRITICAL and why aren't we improving that?

Don't these two flags invoke two different mechanisms.
__GFP_NOFAIL can sleep for HZ/50 then retry, rather than return failure.
__GFP_CRITICAL can steal from the emergency pool rather than fail.

I would favor renaming at least the __GFP_CRITICAL to something
like __GFP_EMERGPOOL, to highlight the relevant distinction.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability