Re: GPL V3 and Linux

From: Olivier Galibert
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 08:28:13 EST

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:54:07AM +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > (A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> > controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Actually there is similar wording here (but of course in German) used
> for the similar purpose. The problem with this kind of law is IMHO:
> -) "effectively controls access": If I (or someone else) can circumvent
> it, it is obviously not "effective".

Wrong definition, try again. "Effective" has multiple meanings in
english, one of them being "existing in fact, not theorical, real".
Check wordnet, it's getting impressively usable nowadays.

In other words, "effective"'s meaning can either move towards
"efficient" or "actual/existing", depending on the context.

OG.