Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm3

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 12:26:37 EST

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:46:20AM +1300, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> On 26/01/2006 6:39 p.m., Greg KH wrote:

> >>Generally quite good again :)
> >>
> >>I'm seeing this USB "handoff" warning message logged when booting up:
> >>
> >>0000:00:1d.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?)
> >>
> >>This is not new to this -mm release, looking back over my bootlogs I note
> >>that 2.6-15-rc5-mm1 was OK, but 2.6.15-mm4 was showing this message.
> >>I'll narrow it down if it doesn't appear obvious what the problem is.
> >
> >When this happens, does your usb-ehci driver still work properly
> >(meaning do usb 2.0 devices connect and go at the proper high speeds)?
>
> It seems like every device I can lay my hands on either only supports 1.1
> or doesn't specify what it is. I'll try find something which is known to
> be 2.0. Certainly my 1.1 devices seem to work ok.
>
> >And if you change the USB setting in your bios, does this error message
> >go away?
>
> If I change "USB 2.0 legacy support" from "High Speed 480Mbps" which it was
> originally to "Full Speed 12MBps" then yes it does go away. Although I'm
> not sure that's the best way to have it configured.

How about just disabling USB legacy support in the bios completly?
Unless you have a USB keyboard that you need for a bootloader screen or
BIOS configuration, that's the recommended setting (due to all of the
horrible BIOS USB bugs we have seen over the years.)

If after you find a USB 2.0 device, and have any problems with it,
please let us know.

thanks,

greg k-h