Re: [patch 0/6] 2.6.14.7 -stable review

From: Chuck Wolber
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 02:44:36 EST

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> The purpose of -stable is to provide stable kernels to 2.6 users. If time
> was not a problem, it's possible that there would be even more versions
> supported.

Mmmm, yup. I was there when this whole thing was brewed up ;)

> The day you will install Linux on a server, you'll understand why it's
> problematic for some people to upgrade to latest version to get fixes.

Sure hope you're not implying I haven't done that before...

> It's not a matter of saying "yes" or "no", it's a matter of helping
> users in getting something which works best on their hardware while
> still being reliable and secure. Maintainers propose some solutions for
> this, and can adapt to users' demands. I don't see anything wrong with
> this.

Neither do I. To a great extent, that void is already filled by distro
maintainers.

..Chuck..

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

"The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR