Re: [Patch] sched: new sched domain for representing multi-core

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 20:08:35 EST

"Siddha, Suresh B" <suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Perhaps we should just make SMT and MC disjoint in Kconfig. Your call.
>
> No. SMT and MC are not disjoint.

It's still not clear what's supposed to be happening here.

In build_sched_domains() we still have code which does:

for_each_cpu_mask(...) {
#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_MC
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
#endif
}
#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_MC
#endif

So in the first case the SCHED_SMT code will win and in the second case the
SCHED_MC code will win. I think. The code is so repetitive in there that
`patch' may have put the hunks in the wrong place.

What is the design intention here? What do we _want_ to happen if both MC
and SMT are enabled?

Also the path tests CONFIG_SCHED_MT in a few places where it meant to use
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT, which rather casts doubt upon the testing quality.