Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2

From: jerome lacoste
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 02:55:34 EST

On 2/1/06, Albert Cahalan <acahalan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/31/06, David S. Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Someone remind me why the whole world is a prisoner to Joerg's cd
> > burning program?
> >
> > Anybody can write their own, and if Joerg is a pain to work with that
> > is a double extra incentive for this other implementation to be
> > written.
> >
> > In fact I'm very surprised this hasn't happened already.
>
> It has happened, many times, but sustaining such a project is
> very difficult. The obstacles are numerous:
>
> All the GUI apps parse cdrecord output. The output is somehow
> even messier than the recent /proc/*/smaps abomination. It is
> thus difficult to change or replace cdrecord. One of the major
> GUI apps appears to be written by Joerg's real-life non-Internet
> friend, who naturally refuses any patches to eliminate the need
> for cdrecord.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libburn/2006-January/000329.html

"Announcing cdrskin, a limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn

cdrskin currently is able to blank and burn data CDs with one or more
tracks. [...]

I am using cdrskin daily with my data backups on CD-RW where it shows about
the same reliability as cdrecord-ProDVD 2.01b31. The backup success is verified
by my backup tool via a MD5 stream checksum.

This is the initial public release 0.1.0 of cdrskin. [...]"

see also http://icculus.org/burn/

Jerome