Re: [OT] 8-port AHCI SATA Controller?

From: Sander
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 05:01:43 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote (ao):
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:50:07PM +0100, Sander wrote:
> > Actually, I need 24 ports :-) But 3x SX8 sets me back 540 dollars
> > according to pricewatch, which is less than half.
>
> I know with older promise controllers, it wasn't possible to run more
> than 2 in one system as far as I remember due to some dma issues. Not
> sure if that applies to the SX8.
>
> If it turns out the SX8 has issues (like the one pointed out earlier
> about number of commands to the card at once) or that it can't have 3
> cards in one system at once, then what? Are you then out $540 + the
> cost of a better controller? Certainly worth finding out before
> spending the money.

I have a few systems which need 24 ports, so I could spread them, but
you are right of course.

> > Fakeraid controllers are less expensive, and would do too of course :-)
>
> Of course those aren't hardware, and are only meant for small toy raids
> for windows users. The rest of use treat them as ide/sata controllers
> only.

Exactly what I need (and am looking for). An 8+ sata controller. I would
not use the fakeraid.

> I haven't seen one of those with more than 4 ports either. If
> the SX8 is one, then I must admit I haven't looked at it before. I try
> to avoid hardware from promise whenever possible.

I did too, but their attitude towards Linux seems to have changed, and I
am pretty pleased with their SATA150 TX4.

Kind regards, Sander

--
Humilis IT Services and Solutions
http://www.humilis.net