Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 10:54:37 EST

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 16:37 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
[...]
> >Do we need to expose IDE master/slave, primary/secondary concepts in Linux?
> >
> AFAICS, we do. hda is always primary slave, etc. With the SCSI layer it's
> (surprisingly) the other way round, sda just happens to be the first disk
> inserted (SCA, USB, etc.)

The (historical) reason was: There were not enough major/minor numbers
(IIRC 8 bit for each of them) for a sane (and static) SCSI device number
mapping (similar to IDE) - just multiply the possible # of partitions *
# of LUNs * # IDs for a few controllers.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55