Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 07:39:05 EST

Hi.

On Thursday 02 February 2006 21:44, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2/2/06, Nigel Cunningham <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's not an option because I'm not trying not to step all over your
> > codebase, because I'm not moving suspend2 to userspace and because it
> > doesn't make sense to add another layer of abstraction by sticking
> > /dev/snapshot in the middle of kernel space code. There may be more
> > reasons, but I haven't looked at the /dev/snapshot code at all.
>
> Any technical reasons why suspend modules shouldn't be in userspace? I
> can understand that you're not keen on redoing them but that's not an
> argument for inclusion in the mainline.

They're using cryptoapi to do the compression and encryption, and bio to do
the I/O. Moving this to userspace will add extra complexity and of course
slow down the process. It will also mean that to suspend and resume, the user
will be unconditionally required to have an initrd or initramfs. This is
already the case for the more complicated configurations (LVM, encryption
with keys that need to be entered at a prompt etc), but most people simply
use an unencrypted, compressed image on a swap partition and in that case do
not and should not need the added complication of configuring an initrd.

Shouldn't the question be "Why are we making this more complicated by moving
it to userspace?"

Regards,

Nigel