Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 10:12:41 EST

Hi!

> > Any technical reasons why suspend modules shouldn't be in userspace? I
> > can understand that you're not keen on redoing them but that's not an
> > argument for inclusion in the mainline.
>
> They're using cryptoapi to do the compression and encryption, and bio to do
> the I/O. Moving this to userspace will add extra complexity and of course

You are mostly using LZW, not supported by cryptoapi, anyway.

> slow down the process.

Slowdown will not be measurable, syscalls are cheap.

> Shouldn't the question be "Why are we making this more complicated by moving
> it to userspace?"

Because thats how the kernel works. We do not put random stuff into
kernel because someone happened to code it for kernelspace first. It
helps us with long-term sanity.
Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!