Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 10:21:39 EST

Hi!

> > Please take a look at /dev/snapshot.
> >
> > Parse error at the first sentence (too many nots), anyway:
> >
> > 1) we do not want two implementations of same code in kernel. [swsusp
> > vs. pmdisk was a mess]
> >
> > 2) we are not going to merge code into kernel, when it is possible to
> > do same thing in userspace. (*)
> >
> > 3) backwards compatibility is important in stable series.
> >
> > 4) merging code into kernel is a lot of work.
> >
> > I do not think I want to remove swsusp from kernel. Even if I wanted
> > to, there's 3). That means suspend2 should not go in (see 1). Even if I
> > removed swsusp from kernel, suspend2 is not going to be merged,
> > because of 2). Even if world somehow forgot that it is possible to do
> > suspend2 in userspace, merging 10K lines of code is (4) still lot of
> > work.
> >
> > Oops, that looks bad for suspend2 merge. I really think you should
> > take a look at /dev/snapshot. Unless it is terminally broken, I can't
> > see how suspend2 could be merged.
>
> I don't want to argue Pavel. I want to give users the best suspend to disk
> implementation they can get. If you want to argue, you can do so with

I want to create best suspen that can be still merged into kernel; I
guess thats the difference. Anyway I believe that most of suspend
should be done in userspace -- most of it can. But I guess you need to
hear it from Linus/Andrew, so...

> yourself. Meanwhile, I'll work on getting Suspend2 ready for merging, and let
> Andrew and Linus decide what they think should happen. If they want to step
> in now and tell me not to bother, I'll happily listen and just maintain the

Ahha, so that was the missing piece of puzzle.
Pavel

--
Thanks, Sharp!