Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 11:10:32 EST

>> Which unfortunately leads us back to one of the early questions.
>>
>> If ATAPI is some sort of SCSI [command set] over ATA, and ide-cd can be used
>> without the "Big Bad" SCSI layer (CONFIG_SCSI), don't we have redundant code
>> floating around?
>
>CONFIG_SCSI???

What else?

>Why not using fully dynamical loadable kernel modules as done with Solaris

Do you think I have scsi built-in? Not at all.

lsmod::
sg 20120 0
sd_mod 12304 0
usb_storage 73408 0
usbcore 108256 5 uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,usb_storage
scsi_mod 103496 3 sg,sd_mod,usb_storage

/proc/config.gz:
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SCH=m
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y

that's about all.

>since 1992? Since that time nobody cares because what you need is auto-loaded
>on demand and there is absolutely no need for a manual configuration.

Jan Engelhardt