Re: FYI: RAID5 unusably unstable through 2.6.14

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 11:37:15 EST

Martin Drab wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Phillip Susi wrote:
It looks like the problem is in that controller card and its driver. Was this
a proprietary closed source driver?

No, it was the kernel's AACRAID driver (drivers/scsi/aacraid/*). And I've consulted that with Mark Salyzyn who told me that it is the problem of the upper layers which are only zero fault tollerant and that driver con do nothing about it.

That's a strange statement, maybe we could get some clarification on it? From the dmesg lines you posted before, it appeared that the hardware was failing the request with a bad disk sense code. As I said before, normally Linux has no problem reading the good parts of a partially bad disk, so I wonder exactly what Mark means by "upper layers which are only zero fault tollerant"?