Re: HEADS UP for QLA2100 users

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 17:56:14 EST

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 04:35:43PM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 16:03 -0700, Andrew Vasquez wrote:

> > > You know, I'm in favour of getting firmware images in the kernel image,
> > > but what's the problem of simply downgrading the 2100 firmware until
> > > we get rid of the builtin firmware for all qla2xxx variants?
> >
> > I have no problems with submitting 1.17.38 EF for inclusion upstream.
> > My only hope is that for the (other) 2100 user out there that use the
> > latest 2100 firmware and are not experiencing problems, the downgrade
> > does not break anything.
> >
> > That's another reason I posed the following question:

> > Perhaps I should also ask:
> >
> > Who's running 2100 cards with the latest qla2xxx driver and
> > are experiencing no problems?
>
> Hmm.. I thought qla2xxx driver doesn't like qla2100. I had troubles
> getting my qla2100 cards to work with qal2xxx (9 months ago) and
> gave up and using only qla2200 and qla2300 card.
>
> Is there a point in me going back and trying qla2100 ? (Ofcourse,
> I need to locate those cards).

Now that in 2.6.16-rc the recommended method for firmware loading in
qla2xxx is to load it from userspace, the firmware version problems
should have become non-issues.

If ypu have hardware that works in 2.6.16-rc2 with the qlogicfc driver
but not with the qal2xxx driver, a bug report would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Badari

cu
Adrian