Re: 8250 serial console fixes -- issue

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 18:14:49 EST

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 05:18:05PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > What about those who have incomplete null modem cables which might
> > not connect DCD or DSR, but who want to use hardware flow control?
>
> BTW: Obviously CRTSCTS is a different thing than a modem with
> hardware handshaking. Basically CRTSCTS is a fixed, transparent
> line. So if we do Hayes modem console, it would better be another
> option.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

CRTSCTS is to enable RTS/CTS hardware handshaking for the tty, which
is what the modem wants if it is doing hardware handshaking. Why
should we invent a non-standard option to enable RTS/CTS hardware
handshaking when CRTSCTS is already defined to do this?

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core