Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: ATI RS480-based motherboard: stuck while booting with kernel >= 2.6.15 rc1

From: David Brownell
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 12:29:20 EST

> > If it printed that, then how is it possible that it hung _before_ printing
> > that message???
>
> I already wrote that I had commented out the line that caused the
> hangup:
>
> // pci_write_config_byte(pdev, offset + 3, 1);
>
> After commenting out this line, the machine boots OK and EHCI works
> fine. It does print the BIOS handoff failed message.

Then if disabling that code which enables the SMI doesn't work,
you have only one real option other than telling your BIOS not
to support USB keyboards/mice/disks: replace your BIOS.

The reason it prints the BIOS handoff message is because you
completely disabled the handoff, so your BIOS still thinks it
owns that controller. Commenting out that line is not good.