Re: The issues for agreeing on a virtualization/namespaces implementation.

From: Kirill Korotaev
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 10:33:26 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
So it seems the clone( flags ) is a reasonable approach to create new
namespaces. Question is what is the initial state of each namespace?
In pidspace we know we should be creating an empty pidmap !
In network, someone suggested creating a loopback device
In uts, create "localhost"
Are there examples where we rather inherit ? Filesystem ?
Of course filesystem is already implemented, and does inheret a full
copy.

why do we want to use clone()? Just because of its name and flags?
I think it is really strange to fork() to create network context. What has process creation has to do with it?

After all these clone()'s are called, some management actions from host system are still required, to add these IPs/routings/etc.
So? Why mess it up? Why not create a separate clean interface for container management?

Kirill