Re: Question regarding /proc/<pid>/fd and pipes

From: John Schmerge
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 22:20:55 EST

Bodo,

Thanks for the answer... I've got one more question: will the symlinks
to the pipe be the same for both the read and write ends in all
processes sharing the pipe?

I've got some sort of funky race condition occurring between the read
from the pipe and the exiting of the process on the write-end of the pipe...
The read-process is supposed to exit after the write-process finishes
(and does in about 1/2 the time), but I think I'm seeing the read-process
blocked by something even after the write-process completes... Both top
and ps give no indication that the read-process is blocked on a read(2).
I've got some digging to do, but I'm thinking that this might actually be
a kernel bug.

Thanks,
John