Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Alexander Samad
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 23:47:40 EST

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:39:55AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Jim Crilly" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > You just verify that you don't listen...
> >
> > Yes, I have been listening and I haven't seen you list one reason why
> > cdrecord absolutely has to use SCSI IDs when fsck can get away with using
> > /dev/blah just fine.
>
> Are you _really_ missing basic know how to understand that fsck is using the
> block layer of a virtual "block device" emulated by UNIX while libscg is
> offering _direct_ acces to _any_ type of device allowing you to send _commands_
> understood by the device?
>
> fsck is just sending abstract instructions to a virtual device and does
> not care about
>
> Please explain me:
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to scan an image from a scanner
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a CPU device
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a tape device
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a printer
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a jukebox
>
> - how to use /dev/hd* in order to talk to a graphical device

Hi

I have been following this thread for quite a while, would just like to
point out that you are quick pedantic about accuracy.

so even though it might be a bit of a pain to create a file called
/dev/hd*, I believe with mknod you could assign this name to any device
you wanted to or even symlink it to any device so you could use you
/dev/hd* the same way as you used /dev/sda etc