Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: DervishD
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 06:46:26 EST

Hi Joerg :)

* Joerg Schilling <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> Martin Mares <mj@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This is why the mapping engine is in the Linux adoption part of
> > > libscg. It maps the non-stable device <-> /dev/sg* relation to a
> > > stable b,t,l address.
> >
> > Nonsense. The b,t,l addresses are NOT stable (at least for transports
>
> Dou you like to verify that you have no clue on SCSI?

My system is clueless, too! If I write a CD before plugging my
USB storage device, my CD writer is on 0,0,0. If I plug my USB
storage device *before* doing any access, my cdwriter is on 1,0,0.
Pretty stable.

But of course, I could made all of the above stable by using
udev. But then the /dev/sg mapping will be stable, too. I can't see
why the three random numbers are more stable than /dev/sg. By the
way, I don't have any SCSI host adapter in my system.

And please, Joerg, be more respectful when answering. It doesn't
cost money and people will likely respect you, too.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado