Re: Let's get rid of ide-scsi

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 07:02:35 EST

Alex Davis wrote:
> --- Wakko Warner <wakko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I personally do not agree with this. I worked on at boot disk(floppy) which
> > contained the kernel and modules to find a cdrom (or usb disk) and use it as
> > my 2nd stage. If I had to use ide-cd, I would not beable to do my first
> > stage loader on a single floppy (I support ide and scsi cdroms via sr-mod).
> >
> > ide-cd.ko is > than sr-mod.ko + ide-scsi.ko
> >
> > I am aware that scsi_mod.ko is larger than those 3 combined and I still need
> > it regardless for usb.
> >
> > My personal vote would be to drop the entire ide subsystem which would thus
> > drop ide-scsi. The SCSI layer has been a general block device layer for
> > more than true scsi devices. USB, Firewire, and SATA use the scsi layer.
> > And as I understand it, libata is starting to handle PATA devices. Once it
> > can handle PATA fine, the ide code would pretty much be useless.
> >
> > I am also against the seperate USB block layer, I personally saw no use in
> > it.
> >
> > --
> > Lab tests show that use of micro$oft causes cancer in lab animals
> > Got Gas???
> >

> Wakko:
>
> Modules can be compressed: On a 2.6.15 kernel doing a 'gzip -9 idecd.ko' reduced its size
> from 43616 bytes to 19234 bytes. The only additional step is modifying 'modules.dep' and
> changing idecd.ko to idecd.ko.gz. You now have a fully functional ide cdrom driver.

This I did not know. I'm not sure if it will really matter or not. The
initramfs is already gzip -9'd. I have a list of modules that are required
for stage 1 which pulls in the dependancies for those modules. It does
currently fit on a single floppy. I'm using a upx compressed kernel, a gzip
-9'd initramfs, kernel is compiled with -Os and I'm using a -Os compiled
busybox statically compiled with uclibc. When it's all said and done, I
have less than 10kb available on a floppy. I thought it was quite an
acomplishment getting all that one 1 floppy.

Got Gas???