Re: [rfc][patch] sched: remove smpnice

From: Peter Williams
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 23:04:08 EST

Peter Williams wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

"Siddha, Suresh B" <suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

b) On a lightly loaded system, this can result in HT scheduler optimizations
being disabled in presence of low priority tasks... in this case, they(low
priority ones) can end up running on the same package, even in the presence of other idle packages.. Though this is not as serious as "a" above...

I think that this issue comes under the heading of "Result of better nice enforcement" which is the purpose of the patch :-).

On the assumption that this enforcement is considered to be too vigorous, I think that it is also amenable to a fix based on a new biased_load() function by replacing the (*imbalance < SCHED_LOAD_SCALE) test with (biased_load(*imbalance, busiest) == 0) and (possibly) some modifications within the if statement's body (most notably replacing the NICE_TO_BIAS_PRIO(0) expressions with (busiest->prio_bias / busiest->nr_running) or something similar).

This change would cause no change in functionality in the case where all tasks are nice==0.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce