Re: Packet writing issue on 2.6.15.1

From: Peter Osterlund
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 11:10:09 EST

iSteve <isteve@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 11 Feb 2006 12:30:03 +0100
> Peter Osterlund <petero2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the driver doesn't support variable packet sizes. You
> > have to format the disc with a fixed packet size.
> >
> > Incidentally, the latest git tree (2.6.16-rc2-git10) already contains
> > a change which would have made the mount command fail in this case.
> >
> I apologize for lack of insight in this matter, but... Where is the packet
> fixed/variable size set? In the UDF filesystem? Or somewhere in metadata of the
> CD?

It's CD metadata.

> Can I alter it with some data already on the CD, without losing the data?

Not as far as I know. I think you have to copy the data to the
harddisk, format the disc with cdrwtool and then copy the data back to
the disc.

> If the driver cannot handle variable packet size, and it is not matter of
> filesystem but matter of CDRW (which I presume), shouldn't the whole pktsetup
> fail?

pktsetup can be run before there is a disc in the drive. Therefore,
these kinds of checks are done when you attempt to open the device for
writing.

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@xxxxxxxxx
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340