Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: ALSA - pnp OS bios option

From: Nick Warne
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 02:55:46 EST

On Saturday 11 February 2006 19:44, Lee Revell wrote:
> > If I then reboot, the same damn control #47 errors happen again. It's
> > as if
> > something changes my asound.state file at boot time time?
>
> Probably you have two different alsactl's installed, one that's
> hardcoded to save the state in /etc/asound.state, and a distro version
> that wants to save it in /var/lib/whatever. It sounds like one is being
> run at boot and a different one at shutdown.

First thing I thought of - Slackware is a 'clean, straight' distro though, and
the only asound.state file I had was in /etc/ and only one alsactl in
default /usr/sbin

On Saturday 11 February 2006 22:07, Lee Revell wrote:
> > do we need to keep the alsa tools and
> > stuff current too?
>
> Yes - kernel upgrades should depend on alsa-lib upgrades (many distros
> seem to get this wrong). This should be fixed in the future, but it's
> been this way for some time.

Well, it appears to have fixed the issues I had. Several reboots since and no
problems now.

Looking back, originally I had a 2.4.x kernel - I have since upgraded to 2.6.x
series, plus built a lot of new tools and such from source - all except alsa
stuff, of course - so it does make sense and I kick myself for not thinking
about this in the beginning. One to remember.

Thanks,

Nick
--
"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb