Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 19:49:20 EST

Alan Stern wrote:
Both of you are missing an important difference between Suspend-to-RAM and Suspend-to-Disk.

Suspend-to-RAM is a true suspend operation, in that the hardware's state
is maintained _in the hardware_. External buses like USB will retain
suspend power, for instance (assuming the motherboard supports it; some
don't).

Suspend-to-Disk, by contrast, is _not_ a true suspend. It can more accurately be described as checkpoint-and-turn-off. Hardware state is not maintained. (Some systems may support a special ACPI state that does maintain suspend power to external buses during shutdown, I forget what it's called. And I down't know whether swsusp uses this state.)

I would disagree. The only difference between the two is WHERE the state is maintained - ram vs. disk. I won't really argue it though, because it's just semantics -- call it whatever you want.

So for example, let's say you have a filesystem mounted on a USB flash or
disk drive. With Suspend-to-RAM, there's a very good chance that the
connection and filesystem will still be intact when you resume. With
Suspend-to-Disk, the USB connection will terminate when the computer shuts
down. When you resume, the device will be gone and your filesystem will
be screwed.

This is not true. The USB bus is shut down either way, and provided that you have not unplugged the disk, nothing will be screwed when you resume from disk or ram.