Re: Memory leak in 2.4.33-pre1?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 19:03:36 EST

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:46:51PM +0100, Yoss wrote:
> Hello.
> My server have lost about ~300MB of RAM. Details:
>
> webcache:~# uname -a
> Linux webcache 2.4.33-pre1 #2 Wed Feb 8 18:26:44 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> No other patches. Only basic elements needed to work in network
> enviroment.
>
> webcache:~# dmesg | grep MEM
> 127MB HIGHMEM available.
> 896MB LOWMEM available.
>
> When I count memmory used by processes (column SIZE from ps or RES from
> top) there is about 650MB used. (There is only squid, named and basic
> system deamons running on that host). But:
>
> webcache:~# free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 1009 996 13 0 18 32
> -/+ buffers/cache: 945 64
> Swap: 1953 0 1952
>

> So there is missing about ~300MB.
> If anyone wants to have more detailed info feel free to ask.

You don't have to worry. Simply check /proc/slabinfo, you'll see plenty
of memory used by dentry_cache and inode_cache and that's expected. This
memory will be reclaimed when needed (for instance by calls to malloc()).

If you don't believe me, simply allocate 1 GB in a process, then free it.

Regards,
Willy