Re: The naming of at()s is a difficult matter

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 12:34:13 EST

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting that TOG's job is to rubber-stamp bad Solaris decisions...

Are you interested in forcing Solaris to change all interfaces?

In this case, I think it would be entirely appropriate. It's hardly a hardship to maintain the legacy names for backwards compatibility; since those names are nonsensical it is unlikely they'll ever want to be claimed, in which case they can be maintained indefinitely.

However, I would find it much, much worse if names that are *actively misleading and confusing* to the programmer would be included in an international standard and therefore forced upon the rest of the world forever.

-hpa