Re: AMD 8131 and MSI quirk

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 16:18:17 EST

Quoting Kristen Accardi <kristen.c.accardi@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > It turns out AMD 8131 quirk only affects MSI for devices behind the 8131
> > bridge. Handle this by adding a flags field in pci_bus, inherited from
> > parent to child.
>
> It seems like we have a way to turn of msi already (the no_msi bit in
> the pci_dev structure). Does it make sense to just have the child bus
> pci_dev structure inherit the no_msi bit from the parent's pci_dev
> structure when doing an allocation, or does that unnecessarily remove
> the msi capability for devices that may not need it?
>
> Kristen

This bit is already used to mean that msi is disabled for a specific device,
which appears to be a PCI Express to PCI bridge (PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_PXH). So
it seems that disabling MSI for child devices as well might break things (i.e.
disable msi unnecessarily).
Working for Intel, I guess you would know about the PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_PXH
best: what do you say?

In my opinion, it is cleaner to separate the two concepts: suppress msi
for child devices versus suppress it for the specific device.

Right?

--
Michael S. Tsirkin
Staff Engineer, Mellanox Technologies