Re: 2.6.16-rc3: more regressions

From: Gerhard Mack
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 18:54:02 EST

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:34:45 +0100
> From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>,
> Mauro Tassinari <mtassinari@xxxxxxxxx>, airlied@xxxxxxxx,
> dri-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: 2.6.16-rc3: more regressions
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:16:59AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > DaveA, I'll apply this for now. Comments?
> >
> > Btw, the fact that Mauro has the same exact PCI ID (well, lspci stupidly
> > suppresses the ID entirely, but the string seems to match the one that
> > Dave Jones reports) may be unrelated.
>
> Dave's patch removes the entry for the card with the 0x5b60.
>
> According to his bug report, Mauro has a Radeon X300SE that should
> have the 0x5b70 according to pci.ids from pciutils and that doesn't seem
> to be claimed by the DRM driver (and the dmesg from the bug report
> confirms that the radeon DRM driver didn't claim to be responsible for
> this card).
>
> > DaveJ (or Mauro): since you can test this, can you test having that ID
> > there but _without_ the other changes to drm in -rc1?
> >
> > Ie was it the addition of that particular ID, or are the other radeon
> > driver changes (which haven't had as much testing) perhaps the culprit?
> >
> > I realize that without the ID, that card would never have been tested
> > anyway, but the point being that plain 2.6.15 with _just_ that ID added
> > has at least gotten more testing on other (similar) chips. So before I
> > revert that particular ID, it would be nice to know that it was broken
> > even with the previous radeon driver state.
>
> The ID removed by Dave's patch is the only ID listed for an RV370 chips
> (the other RV370's aren't listed in the radeon DRM driver).
>
> I suspect Dave and Mauro having unrelated problems.
>
> > Linus
>
> cu
> Adrian

The X300 has two pci ids:
0000:05:00.0 0300: 1002:5b60
0000:05:00.1 0380: 1002:5b70

0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
[Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
0000:05:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon
X300SE]

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.